no avatar

Suspects sent to feds

By Jared Felkins jfelkins@lebanondemocrat.com • Updated Jan 15, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Two suspects indicted by a federal grand jury in October are now in federal custody to await trial for aggravated robbery and other drug- and gun-related crimes. 

Sheriff Robert Bryan confirmed Wilson County holds on Terrance Shaw, 22, of Lebanon, and Alderius Bingham, 21, of Lebanon, were released Tuesday, which placed the two suspects in the custody of U.S. marshals. 

Bryan was unsure where Shaw and Bingham would be held until their trial. He said marshals picked the two men up from Wilson County Jail on Dec. 2. 

Lebanon police Chief Scott Bowen said Wednesday he was pleased to see federal indictments handed down on Shaw, Bingham and Jalissa Brooks, 23, of Lebanon. 

“One of the biggest things is the sentencing ranges are significantly greater in the federal system,” Bowen said. “If they are convicted, they will face much stiffer penalties and must serve 80 percent of their sentences.”

Bowen credits Lebanon police Capt. Koy Lafferty’s work on the FBI Violent Crimes Task Force as a main reason why the case was selected and presented to a federal grand jury. 

“With him being in the task force and the connections he has, we wouldn’t be able to have these cases moved into the federal system,” Bowen said. 

Bowen said he’s in discussion with the U.S. attorney’s office in Nashville concerning other cases that could be taken to the federal level. 

In October, a federal grand jury handed down a seven-count indictment that involved Shaw, Bingham and a third suspect, charging them with aggravated robbery, along with other drug- and gun-related offenses.

“We are appreciative to be able to work with the FBI and other agencies to be able to present this to a federal grand jury and upgrade this case to federal status,” Bowen said at the time.

The first count charges the three with conspiracy to commit armed robbery. The second count charges Shaw and Bingham with robbery in a June 11 home invasion.

Bowen said Shaw and Bingham were accused of breaking into a Lebanon home and robbing a family at gunpoint. The robbery happened June 11 at about 11 p.m. at 411 E. Market St.

One of the victims told police when he returned home, three black men approached him from behind and forced their way inside the home.

According to police, one of the suspects, a juvenile, brandished a shotgun.

The suspects forced two children and their mother into a bedroom and took the father’s wallet and keys, police said at the time.

The third count charges Shaw and Bingham with possession and brandishing a “short-barreled” shotgun during the commission of a robbery in the June 11 home invasion.

The fourth count charges Shaw with possession of marijuana with the intent to distribute from a June 20 incident.

The fifth count charges Shaw in a June 20 incident in which he “did knowingly possession and discharge a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime.”

Bowen said the June 20 incident involved a shooting that took place on Highway 109 when Shaw was shot during an apparent drug deal.

The sixth count charges Shaw, Bingham and Brooks with robbery involving a June 22 incident. The seventh count charges Shaw, Bingham and Brooks with brandishing a firearm during the commission of a June 22 robbery.

Police believe Shaw and Bingham forced entry into a Plaza 231 Inn motel room on Cumberland Street in Lebanon on June 22 and demanded money from the occupant.

One of the suspects hit the victim in the head with a handgun, and the two suspects took the victim’s wallet, $350 and prescription pills, according to police.

In addition, Shaw was, at the time, out on bond for an aggravated robbery charge stemming from the June 11 incident.

Felony warrants were also on file for Shaw at the time for violating his probation on charges of possession of cocaine and aggravated burglary. 

Bingham was also wanted on an aggravated burglary charge stemming from the June 11 home invasion.

Shortly after the June 11 home invasion, Lebanon police charged Shaw with aggravated burglary, but he bonded out of jail on $2,000 bond. Shaw and Bingham were caught July 3 in a multiagency operation at a home in Nashville. Both have since been held without bond. 

It’s not known when the case will be heard in federal court. 

Recommended for You