Shooting suspect appears in court
Dec 15, 2015 at 3:01 PM
A second suspect who faces several charges in connection to an aggravated armed robbery last year appeared in court Wednesday.
Mario Lamont Newsome, 25, of Lebanon, was charged with criminal attempt, two counts of felony criminal conspiracy and violation of conditional release for alcohol following an incident July 11, 2013 in the 700 block of Curd Road in Mt. Juliet. He was released Aug. 12, 2013 on $25,000 bond.
Wilson County sheriff’s deputies also charged Newsome on July 9 with probation violation and failure to appear.
He also failed to appear in court Nov. 26.
On Wednesday, Newsome was appointed an attorney from the public defender’s office and a case review was set for Sept. 12. His bonding company asked to be released, but Judge David Durham said the case remained under review.
On July 11, 2013, Mt. Juliet police said two male suspects approached a Nashville man outside and tried to rob him while a third suspect waited in a car nearby. Officers said they believed a brief struggle then took place, and one of the suspects fired a shot from a handgun toward the victim and missed.
Following the shot, the suspects fled the area in a silver car.
Soon after, police arrested Newsome and Roderick Majors, 23, of Lebanon, in connection with the incident. Police started a search for San Antonio Freeman, 17, of Lebanon, who they believed fired the gunshot.
Freeman was arrested earlier this year and charged with aggravated assault, aggravated robbery, reckless endangerment, unlawful possession of a weapon and evading arrest.
Freeman previously made a court appearance July 14, where Durham set a court date for Sept. 12 for a case review. Both Freeman and Newsome are scheduled to appear in court that day.