no avatar

Graves sentenced to 47 years in prison

Marie Corhern • Updated Jul 31, 2013 at 3:45 PM

David Leon Graves once again appeared in front of Judge David Durham on July 25, but this time to be sentenced after a Wilson County jury found Graves 'guilty' in April.

Judge Durham sentenced Graves, 30, to a total of 45 years in prison: 25 years for attempted first-degree murder of Sgt. Harold Cooley, 20 years for attempted first-degree murder of Deputy Dusty Cato, six months for domestic assault of Patricia Glover and two years for reckless endangerment of a child.

According to Deputy District Attorney Javin Cripps, Graves will serve "counts 3 and 4 concurrent with count 1, and count 2 will run consecutive to count 1."

"We are fortunate to have such great judges in our district that are well versed in the law of Tennessee," said Cripps. "Judge Durham applied the law as he saw it and rendered a sentence that he felt was appropriate for the defendant."

Graves will be entitled to pre-trial credit, since he has been in the Wilson County Jail since Dec. 7, 2011.

"90 days are taken out of the time due to Judge Durham finding him in contempt of court for his behavior pre-trial," said Cripps.

Since his sentence is "Range 1," Graves "will have to serve 30 percent of his sentence before he is eligible for parole."

"This means that he would go before the parole board, and they would decide whether he is granted parole or not," said Cripps.

Graves was sentenced to the Tennessee Department of Correction, so it will be up to the Department of Corrections where Graves will serve the remainder of his time in prison.

During the four-day trial in April, the jury found Graves 'guilty' on two counts of attempted first-degree murder and one count of reckless endangerment, but found him "not guilty" on aggravated domestic assault. Later the verdict was overturned, and Graves was found guilty on all counts for the events that happened on Dec. 5, 2011.

On the night in question, Cooley and Cato were dispatched to a domestic disturbance at the home of Graves and his live-in girlfriend at the time, Glover. The couple had been struggling for control of a 12-gauge shotgun. 

When the officers appeared on the scene, Graves had retreated inside the house to the bedroom where Glover's 2-year-old grandson was asleep. Later Graves re-appeared in a doorway with the shotgun.

According to testimony, Cooley repeatedly asked Graves to lay down the gun. Eventually shots were fired, and both Cooley and Graves were shot. Graves re-loaded his shotgun before laying it down outside the house after Cato and Glover pleaded with him.

The events all happened within a 10-minute timeframe.

Managing Editor Marie Corhern can be reached at 615-374-3566 or email thevidette@bellsouth.net.

Recommended for You