A man charged with first-degree murder and five counts of attempted murder appeared in a Wilson County courtroom Monday morning.
Michael Demond Starks, 29, of Lebanon, appeared before Judge John Wootten Jr., where a motions court date was set for Aug. 18 at 10 a.m.
Previously, Starks appeared in court in April, where a trial date was set for Oct. 8.
Starks’ charges stem from a December 2012 shooting spree that left Desmine Watts, 21, dead.
Police said Watts was shot “at least twice in the face area and once in the torso.” He was taken to University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead soon after arrival.
According to police, the shooting was believed to have happened on the front porch of Starks’ home at 326 S. Maple St., but the victim was found a few buildings away.
Police said they believed Starks and Watts had an altercation on the front porch of Starks’ home and that Starks left the home immediately after the shooting. He was then believed to be involved in another shooting on S. Greenwood Avenue.
Tyler Chandler with Mt. Juliet police also had said a driver on Interstate 40 reported someone fired a shot at their car about 30 minutes after Watts was shot. Three adults and two children were in the car at the time.
No one was injured in the S. Greenwood Avenue or I-40 shootings.