Mt. Juliet, Wilson County emergency officials and Piedmont Natural Gas workers contained a natural gas rupture Wednesday after a nearly three-hour fight to repair it.
Mt. Juliet police, firefighters and Wilson Emergency Management Agency officials responded to the scene of the reported gas line rupture behind Providence 14 Theater at about 10:50 a.m. A fire at nearby NYNY Pizza in the Providence Marketplace was also reported at about the same time
Upon arrival, emergency responders found Piedmont Natural Gas workers in an attempt to repair a 6-inch gas main rupture behind Providence 14 theater and across Providence Parkway.
Water department crews digging in the area apparently hit the gas main at about 10:10 a.m.
Emergency responders determined it was a large natural gas line incident, and heavy fumes were travelling downwind from the rupture.
Mt. Juliet police spokesperson Lt. Tyler Chandler said a dangerous situation alert was issued to area residents. Residents and tenants in the immediate area were advised to leave the area.
For those who stayed, residents were asked to stay indoors with air conditioning systems turned off to prevent fumes from travelling indoors.
Chandler said the dangerous situation was cancelled just after 1 p.m. when crews were able to contain the leak.
Firefighters also cleared the scene at NYNY Pizza after a possible structure fire there at around noon. It's unknown the extent of damage the fire caused.