Fire burns more than century-old home

A kitchen fire significantly damaged a more than 100-year-old Wilson County home Monday afternoon.
Dec 30, 2013

A kitchen fire significantly damaged a more than 100-year-old Wilson County home Monday afternoon.

According to Wilson Emergency Management Agency Director Joey Cooper, firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the kitchen at 1795 Old Shannon Road just off Franklin Road in Wilson County.

“The kitchen area itself suffered quite a bit of fire damage,” Cooper said. “There was smoke and heat damage in other parts of the house.”

Cooper said three people were in the home at the time the fire started at about 2:45 p.m. He said someone was cooking potatoes in the kitchen when the fire started. No one was injured.

According to Cooper, firefighters were able to put the fire out in about 30 minutes but remained on the scene for about two hours.

The home, reportedly owned by Milton Burton, was built in the 1800s. Cooper said Burton was with family members Monday night. 

Log in or sign up to post comments.