Student dies from bacterial meningitis
LAURIE EVERETT Mt. Juliet News Managing Editor
Dec 15, 2015 at 1:42 PM
Wilson County Schools Safety Director David Burton confirmed the West Wilson student who died Friday after a brief illness is Sam McCleod, 9.
He also confirmed McCleod died at around 10 a.m. from bacterial meningitis at Vanderbilt Medical Center.
"But, it was not the contagious kind," he said. "The students and faculty are safe."
As reported Friday, Director of Schools Mike Davis said the Centers for Disease Control had been contacted and officials there stepped in and assured school officials that there were "no health risks to anyone at the school."
Deputy Director of Schools Mickey Hall said all protocol was taken and all parents were informed of the death.
Burton said McCleod has an older brother who plays in the band at Wilson Central High School.
Mt. Juliet News Managing Editor Laurie Everett may be reached 754-6397 or firstname.lastname@example.org.