no avatar

Mt. Juliet ranks in top 10 safest Tennessee cities

By Laurie Everett leverett@mtjulietnews.com • Updated Mar 19, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Mt. Juliet made the top 10 list of Tennessee’s safest cities, based on a report compiled from the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s 2012 Crime Statistics Report.

In a study released Tuesday by Movoto Real Estate Agency, Mt. Juliet – one of Tennessee’s fastest growing cities, with a population of approximately 24,000 – took the sixth spot, with Germantown topping the list and Smyrna taking the tenth spot.

According to Randy Nelson with Movoto, the study looked at 50 places in Tennessee with populations greater than 10,000. The areas rated were property crimes, (30 percent), violent crimes per capita (50 percent) and the chances of being the victim of a crime (20 percent). 

“Mt. Juliet ranked sixth safest in our analysis in terms of violent crime and eighth when it came to property crime,” says the report. 

The report says Mt. Juliet “is another spot in Tennessee that managing to keep its crime rate down, while expanding at a rapid pace.”

Mt. Juliet reported 504 total crimes in 2012, according to the report. It says of those, 55 were violent (including one murder) and 449 were property related.

“It’s nice to know that our city was recognized by the independent study as being one of the safest in Tennessee,” said MJPD Chief James Hambrick. “We have a great police force and strong support from our elected officials, but it’s our people and community that create such a safe environment. Everybody cares about each other here.”

Lebanon ranked 36th among Tennessee cities in the study. 

Recommended for You