- Family Features
- Business Directory
- Gallery Of Homes
- Subscribe Now!
- Place A Classified Ad
- New! Digital e-Edition
Red Cross needs blood this fall
Oct 26, 2012 6:20 pm
The leaves are changing colors and temperatures are dropping. One thing that remains the same is the constant need for blood. The American Red Cross asks donors to “Give Something That Means Something” for a chance to win a $1,000 gift card useable toward gas, rent, food or tickets to a favorite concert or sporting event.
The “Give Something That Means Something” promotion, which runs now through Dec. 31, gives each person who presents to donate blood or platelets with the Red Cross a chance to win a $1,000 American Express gift card.
“Donating blood is an opportunity for people to give the most important gift of all, the ‘Gift of Life,’” said Tim Ryerson, chief executive officer of the American Red Cross Tennessee Valley Blood Services Region. “The Red Cross depends on the generosity of volunteer donors to meet the needs of patients in our area and across the country.”
The Red Cross Tennessee Valley Blood Services Region provides blood to patients in about 60 hospitals. About 600 people need to give blood or platelets each weekday to meet hospital demands.
Locally, the Red Cross has several blood drives planned for Wilson County, including:
• Thursday from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. at Crye-Leike Realtors at 1285 N. Mt. Juliet Road in Mt. Juliet.
• Nov. 3 from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Elzie D. Patton Elementary at 1003 Woodridge Place in Mt. Juliet.
• Nov. 3 from 9:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Lakeview Elementary at 6211 Saundersville Road in Mt. Juliet.
• Nov. 4 from 8 a.m. until noon at Grace United Methodist Church at 2905 N. Mt. Juliet Road in Mt. Juliet.
• Nov. 4 from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. at St. Frances Cabrini Catholic Church at 300 South Tarver Ave. in Lebanon.
• Nov. 6 from 1-6 p.m. at Carroll Oakland Elementary School at 4664 Hunters Point Pike in Lebanon.
• Nov. 11 from 8 a.m. until noon at First Baptist Church at 735 N. Mt. Juliet Road in Mt. Juliet.
• Nov. 11 from 3-7 p.m. at Maple Hill Church of Christ at 102 Maple Hill Road in Lebanon.
• Nov. 11 from noon until 4 p.m. at Wilson County Veterans Building at 945 E. Baddour Parkway in Lebanon.
For more information or to schedule an appointment to donate, call 800-RED CROSS or visit redcrossblood.org.
blood drive 1 Photo: File photo
Doyle Taylor of Watertown didn't let a little thing like giving blood take away his smile as he participated in the American Red Cross blood drive earlier this year at Immanuel Baptist Church in Lebanon. He is shown here giving blood with the assistance of Karen Horton of the ARC. Taylor said he tries to give blood every eight weeks and the Red Cross is hoping more people like him will sign up to donate in November when the Red Cross will offer 10 chances for people to give the gift of life in Wilson County.