The Wharton Store was formerly on Trousdale Ferry Pike in Lebanon.
A.C. and Mary Alice Wharton began operating the store in the 1940's after purchasing it for $1,800. All five of the Wharton children worked in the store and were inspired by their parents to become leaders in the field of education, law, medicine and government. The store was relocated to Fiddlers Grove in 2003.
Fiddlers Grove Historical Village is on the grounds of the James E. Ward Agricultural Center in Lebanon. It is the mission of Fiddlers Grove to preserve the history of the citizens of Wilson County by preserving buildings, artifacts and oral and written histories. The village reaches out to the public through preservation, interpretation, exhibitions, education, publications and hands-on experiences to increase a better understanding of the history of Wilson County and its way of life.
Groundbreaking ceremonies for the village were held on April 17, 1991. Fiddlers Grove was named by Dr. G. Frank Burns, a local popular historian, educator and publisher. The name was chosen for one of the first settlers, Edward (Neddy) Jacobs, a legendary fiddler who often played his fiddle at his cabin at the Town Spring.
To become a part of this historical journey and help keep the history alive in Fiddlers Grove, have a story relating to one of the buildings or for more information, contact Vickie Eads at the Fiddlers Grove office at 615-443-2626. The office is at the Agricultural Center in Lebanon. Self-guided tours are available Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.