Asa Rogers built the Stringtown General Store in 1872 in the Stringtown community now known as the Leeville community.
The store served as a post office until 1904, at which time rural mail carriers began to deliver the mail. In a separate room on the back of the store, Rogers made string and twine from hemp.
The store was stocked with many household items, ranging from stovepipes to flavoring to bolts of material stacked along the wall. One could also stop in anytime and get a sandwich made in the store or buy slices of cheese and crackers or cans of sardines for a quick meal.
The cast-iron stove in the store served as a gathering place for local citizens to gather the news, play cards or checkers. Sam Barnett bought the store in 1919 from the Rogers family, then passed it down to his daughter, Myrtle Barnett Gibson.
The building was donated to Fiddlers Grove in 1992 by the Gibson family. The store is now furnished with many of the original items, in addition to items donated by Cracker Barrel and various individuals.
Fiddlers Grove Historical Village is on the grounds of the James E. Ward Agricultural Center in Lebanon. It is the mission of Fiddlers Grove to preserve the history of the citizens of Wilson County by preserving buildings, artifacts and oral and written histories. The village reaches out to the public through preservation, interpretation, exhibitions, education, publications and hands-on experiences to increase a better understanding of the history of Wilson County and its way of life.
Groundbreaking ceremonies for the village were held on April 17, 1991.
Dr. G. Frank Burns, a local popular historian, educator and publisher, named Fiddlers Grove. The name was chosen for one of the first settlers, Edward (Neddy) Jacobs, a legendary fiddler who often played his fiddle at his cabin at the Town Spring.
To become a part of this historical journey and help keep the history alive in Fiddlers Grove, have a story relating to one of the buildings or for more information, contact Vickie Eads at the Fiddlers Grove office at 615-443-2626. The office is at the Agricultural Center in Lebanon. Self-guided tours are available Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.