The Livesay Grist Mill was built in 1879 on the Clinch River at Kyles Ford near the Tennessee state line with Virginia in Hancock County.
Water powered the mill using a pair of grinding stones to grind corn for meal and wheat for flour. According to records of deeds, S.W. Carter and John Livesay, along with other family members settled in Sneedville prior to the Civil War.
The mill was one of the most-needed facilities in pioneer days and was always busy. The mill house was built in Fiddlers Grove in 2006, and the grist mill was installed and became operational during the 2007 Wilson County Fair.
Jerry McFarland acquired the mill and donated it to Fiddlers Grove in 2005.
Fiddlers Grove Historical Village is on the grounds of the James E. Ward Agricultural Center in Lebanon. It is the mission of Fiddlers Grove to preserve the history of the citizens of Wilson County by preserving buildings, artifacts and oral and written histories. The village reaches out to the public through preservation, interpretation, exhibitions, education, publications and hands-on experiences to increase a better understanding of the history of Wilson County and its way of life.
Groundbreaking ceremonies for the village were held on April 17, 1991.
Dr. G. Frank Burns, a local popular historian, educator and publisher, named Fiddlers Grove. The name was chosen for one of the first settlers, Edward (Neddy) Jacobs, a legendary fiddler who often played his fiddle at his cabin at the Town Spring.
To become a part of this historical journey and help keep the history alive in Fiddlers Grove, have a story relating to one of the buildings or for more information, contact Vickie Eads at the Fiddlers Grove office at 615-443-2626. The office is at the Agricultural Center in Lebanon. Self-guided tours are available Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.